by Nina Baldwin

cloud catcher*dream maker*artist

"Art touches the soul...art is communication...it reaches out from the canvas and passes through the eyes of the viewer right into his heart where it can leave an imprint of beauty that can make the spirit sing."
Nina Baldwin ...

Welcome to Artscapes!

Thursday, August 29, 2013

PAUL COZE - St. Thomas the Apostle Church...and the rest of the story!


There has been a lot of interest in the images of the Stations of the Cross and so I have decided to include the rest of the images I took of St. Thomas the Apostle Church in a post here as well. 

It appears that the paintings behind Mary and Joseph and the main altar are painted in a style that somewhat repeats the style that Paul Coze used in the Stations...I especially love how the angles in the backgrounds of these paintings, almost like facets in a diamond, repeat the colors with beautiful shading, giving the paintings so much more interest than if they had not been included.  These same angles are especially prominent in the Station that portrays the view of the three crosses on the hills...infact, the hills, as well as the background repeat this very appealing technique...

image of Mary...

 
 
image of Joseph...

 
image of painting behind the main altar...it is huge! ceiling to floor...
the mountains appear to be Camelback Mountain (local)...I have to say "congratulations" to the artist (don't have the name, unfortunately) for accomplishing what he or she did...the paintings are lovely!!  and they are painted on a grand scale!

 
an idea of what the large painting looks like from a distance and behind the altar...

 
from another perspective...

 
the Station which also has the rather "Cubist" appearance to it...

 
a newspaper article I found at the main library...
the image is of another painting Mr. Coze did that was very similar to the Station...
a young Paul Coze peeks over the image...
the stamp cancel date is 1958...the stamp cost .03 at the time!

 
I want to thank Jessica for her kindness in letting me take in all of the beauty of St. Thomas Church!  It was a delightful time for me...a walk down memory lane (I remember mantillas...and the Sunday I forgot mine and attended Church with a bare head...I was so ashamed!!...and I remember singing in the choir and...and, well I won't bore you with the rest!)
 
In looking back at the newspaper image and the Station above I wonder if this was Mr. Coze's own "cubism"...I would love to know what you think!
 
Thanks for all of your interest in Paul Coze's art and public works!!  I hope to someday return to Phoenix to get images of the beautiful mural in Terminal 2 at the airport...if I get that chance, I will be sure to post them here to share with you...

No comments:

Post a Comment